Monday, April 11, 2011

Kodak WL Surveillance Film 2210

I acquired several 100 foot rolls of this on a popular auction site. It came spooled for movie cameras on metal spools, so I had to unwind it in a darkbag (tedious) and load into my film loader for spooling into canisters. The claim of 100 feet was pessimistic as I got 24 36-exposure rolls with plenty of leader and trailer.

This film is on a very thick, very clear base on possesses a T-Grain emulsion. Considering I had paid about $8 each 100 foot roll (including shipping) I felt I had a bargain. Now I am even more convinced.

It is mutli-rated, and Kodak says it rates from EI 150-800, or EI 1600 – 3200 pushed. It speed rating is EI 400.

I tend to rate it at EI 640 then process as normal (EI 400) to get best results. It dries fast, really fast, and the base is absolutely clear. It scans OK except for the highlights, which tend to flare because of the antihalation layer. What I like most is the gradation, which is superb, and the grain structure, which produces very pleasing effects.

Here is a sample exposed at EI640 and processed at EI400 in TMAX Dev for 7 minutes at 20C.

2011-JAN-14 Reynolda House

The photo was taken at Reynolda House Museum of American Art in Winston-Salem, NC. Yes, I am aware that I scratched the emulsion down the right side.  I scanned this on an OpticFilm 7300. The photo was taken with a Voigtlander Bessa R using a Nokton 50mm at f/1.5. Shutter time was 1/250s (it was a cloudy day).

1 comment:

  1. Very nice! Thanks for sharing the technicals! That's what I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete